12.09.2009

Another day, another blog post, another cool thing to share with you guys!

We've soft launched (haven't made a big deal, basically) our new Comcast Secure Backup & Share service for our customers.

This is cool for those of you who need to put something 2gb and under "somewhere". Portable apps, maybe some pictures you wanted to share, documents, whatever! Here's some of the specifics from what I've been told so far:

Comcast Secure Backup and Share is an easy, secure, and reliable way to back up and share all of your important files. Now, you can access your files from anywhere with an Internet connection for easy sharing. You can download the Comcast Secure Backup and Share application and have convenient access to the Comcast Vault. Components of solution include:

    1. Comcast Secure Backup & Share PC application – downloaded to the PC during product registration. Used to backup files and restore files. Application can be downloaded on multiple PCs so that files from each computer can be backed up.

    2. Comcast Vault – Secure Online storage of backed up files. You can access their Comcast Vault through any Internet Connection for downloading or sharing.

Comcast Secure Backup & Share features include:

  • Automatic backup can be scheduled
  • Bandwidth throttling and block level incremental backups
  • A secure online backup and storage utility
  • An easy upload and retrieval mechanism
  • Remote access to your files from any internet connection
  • Ability to share content from the vault to family and friends
Product Requirements
  • Comcast High-Speed Internet subscription – Primary account must complete registration
  • 133 MHz processor
  • 64 MB RAM
  • Windows 2000, XP, Vista SP1 or SP2, or Windows 7
  • Either Internet Explorer 7 or later, Firefox 3.0 or later
  • (No word on when there will be Mac support, sad to say!!!)

Accessibility
  • You must be a Primary High-Speed internet subscriber to purchase the service.
  • After purchase is made, any secondary can download the product. A secondary UID’s backed up content will contribute to overall storage purchased by primary, though the files will be stored in your own private vault.
  • Each UID can download CSB&S desktop application to multiple PCs
  • Due to copyright concerns, music files can be backed up, but not shared.

10 Comments:

  1. Unknown said...
    How does this compare to something like Backblaze?
    Keith said...
    omg your linked to the front of broadband reports!
    GJB said...
    (No word on when there will be Mac support, sad to say!!!)

    Things like this make me wonder why I stay with Comcast. Always considered a 2nd rate citizen because I don't want to deal with Windows at home. (And for those of you ready to put me down, yes, I have Windows training, and can support them in a work environment. I just don't want to deal with them at home.)
    Bunny said...
    I definitely dont think that us mac fan girls and boys are second rate citizens in the eyes of Comcast. Coding for Mac is a bit more complicated than for PC's from what I understand (after speaking with a bunch of non-comcast devs). I'm hearing whispers about it coming eventually... just not sure when
    Anonymous said...
    Ok, why would I want to use this, instead of paying mozy directly $4.95/month for unlimited?
    Anonymous said...
    Mozy supports Macs. Maybe they didn't rebrand it with the Comcast logo's yet.
    Anonymous said...
    I'm a Comcast HSI & cable customer, is there a charge for this service?
    GJB said...
    I have a friend that does programming for Mac/Linux/Windows. He thinks Mac/Linux is easier to program for than Windows. Maybe those non-comcast devs think it's harder because Mac people expect stuff that works well and doesn't have a horrid interface.

    RE: Mozy. I have Mozy. Mozy sucks. I'd like something that works reliably and Mozy hasn't been working reliably for me since August. Despite numerous complaints to tech support. I finally just gave up on complaining. It wasn't getting me anywhere.
    fairuse said...
    Mac and Microsoft content control [keyword was music not shared] is tricky. Try to use Tiger release to watch locked *cast online movie. This is a nice service for my mom, wife & no clue teenyboppers. Dropio is too hard for that level of user. Five or ten gig drop is the way - cost is low and amazon has not messed up my files [yet].

    Think before giving this service bad vibes about .mac or mobile-me [sic]

    My 4GB .dmg has .VOB inside. Would it get a flag for movie theft? Has encrypted .ZIP been screened as possible p0rn? These are the issues that concern me & you'll should be thinking about that because ISP vs Capital Hill is out of our control. Guilty till proven not is a growing problem & I would be happy to allow ISP store my big files if and only if there was no gatekeeper.

    Sorry *cast but the pressure on you to toe-the-line in some future IP/copyright fight hit a nerve.

    For the MyMom class of user -- Thanks comcast for saving me from doing win 7 work!

    Later, *castbonnie
    Anonymous said...
    Hi Bonnie,

    I'm currently a Comcast cable & HSI customer, is there an extra charge for this service?

    Thanks,
    Ken

Post a Comment